Red Tent Retreat, 5 days, May, June and July 2017
Sign up for confirmed dates...!
What is it?
Travel to Catalunya, Spain to stay on my off-grid olive farm for the first Red Tent Retreat. Now is the time for women across the globe to bring back the Red Tent from its ancient traditions into the modern world. Holding reverence to that ancient time, when women met, supported, mentored and held space for each other. They gathered during birthing, bleeding and entering their cycles of maiden through to crone. This retreat is a celebration of the collective feminine and all that is female; the role we play in society, community and family. Women are magnificent, magical and powerful beyond measure. We just need to remember.
When? 15th-19th April 2017, arrival can be 14th April, departure the 20th if required.
Why should I come?
Together we share our concerns with our disconnection and how we can heal the missing parts of ourselves and reconnect with inner wisdom and all that is ‘us’. Let us celebrate the cycles of womanhood. We need to know ourselves, in the role of the divine feminine and feel safe to speak our truth in a loving supportive environment. Together you will come home to yourself, look within, celebrate that you are loved, you are enough and replenish. It is a time for sharing through a gentle, nurturing facilitator-led process. Sharing your wisdom, pain, laughter, creativity, you will release blocks from things holding you back from being fully present as a woman. A safe and sacred space in which to dwell. And you get to sleep in the red tent!
What is on offer on the retreat?
We will look at the following;
- Lunar cycles and the history of the Red Tent
- What is self-love and why don’t we do it?
- What can you do to love yourself more?
- Fear. What holds you back? What would you do if you couldn’t fail?
- Intuition. How do we know what we know?
- How do we reconnect with our feminine energy?
- Vision boards, mandala colouring, meditation, connection with others
- Global healing prayers for all women and beings who have less, who are in pain who are at war…
- Ancient olives, pruning, tree to table
- Making natural body care products
What is included?
- Collection from Tortosa
- Breakfast - Cereals/fruit
- Salad style lunch
- Evening meal - Vegetarian, from my organic vegetable plot which we will cook together as a group (please advise me of dietary requirements). You are welcome to buy and cook meat if you wish.
- Daily workshops with discussion in the evenings on the patio after a meal
- A massage treatment
- Shared accommodation in the Red Tent
What I am looking for…
As this will be my first Red Tent Retreat, I am looking for women who are ready to reconnect with themselves. Who want to come to this restful and nurturing place and bring that re-connection to life. Who are willing to give of themselves nd shre wih others. To share the red tent accommodation. It is an alcohol-free retreat, however, if participants wish to eat out in the town on the last night of the retreat (at their own expense) and they wish to drink alcohol in moderation, that will be fine.
£600.00 please pay the deposit of £300.00, in the first instance, through the pay pal button. Thank you.
About Casa Tranquila
Casa Tranquila translates as House of Peace. This is a magical place, capable of taking you on a journey of healing and restoring the soul within its 6 acre olive grove and traditional finca (farm cottage). As you wander about you will find ancient olive trees, some over 200 years old, almond trees, carob, and a newly planted lemon and peach tree. Wild rosemary, thyme and asparagus self-set and dot themselves about the place. There is a medicinal herb garden and an organic vegetable patch, from which we will eat. It is combination of a blissful, peaceful haven with beautiful and natural surroundings and its intention is one of friendship and healing through a series of residential retreats and workshops.
Overlooking the Els Ports National Park, Near Tortosa, Tarragona, Spain, and about 1.5 hours south of Barcelona, it is the perfect place to begin your journey, continue on your healing path and meet with other like minds who are open to sharing theirs. I was drawn to buy it 8 years ago with the idea of transforming it into an affordable retreat centre for ‘worn out working women’, of which I was one, at the time, to come and relax, treat themselves to a break, talk through their issues.
- The retreat space is at my small finca with guests staying in bell tents, close to nature and under the stars.
- The Red Tent is 4 metres in size and sleeps four. Beds are traditional Spanish wool filled mattresses, that give a comfy and cool nights sleep. Glamping will also be offered in between workshop and retreats on a B&B basis.
- Solar panels provide for lights, (as well as the moon), and power electrical items as there is no electric here. There is a compost toilet and a gas shower, which we share.
- There are solar lanterns in the tent and solar reading lamps. Solar fairy lights are dotted about to add to the chilled-out ambiance.
- There is internet, charged at 3 euros each a day, as I have to up the usage, but hopefully you won't use it.
- Massages take place in the open at the top end of the land, which is not overlooked, and offers a breathtaking view of the mountains.
- Bring good shoes, the terrain is stony and rocky and a good torch.
- Outside there is small outdoor kitchen running along the eco theme with a three-ringed gas stove and tea and coffee making and light snacks.
View over-looking mountains for massage
It is a special wilderness here and in our down time, you can wander the mountain paths, chill in a hammock, read one of my many books, (I have about 500!) be disconnected form the world or enjoy your massage.
About the local Area
- The nearest airport is Barcelona Reus.
- Closest and smallest
- Ryanair and other airlines
- Onward journey; bus to Salou and a train to Tortosa, buses are synced with flights, it takes about 1hr 15 mins
- I can collect you from Tortosa
- If you come as a group, I am willing to collect from Reus airport for a petrol fee, please contact me about this.
Barcelona - El Prat
- Easyjet and other airlines
- Onward journey; train to Tortosa, the train departs from the airport and takes about two hours. I can collect you from Tortosa
- I cannot collect you from Barcelona
- Both airports have English speaking tourist offices
- You can hire a car from both airports, particularly cost effective if you come as a group
Casa Tranquila borders Els Ports National Park. Surrounded by mountains between Catalonia, Valencia and Aragón, this limestone massif, with steep, rugged terrain has been shaped by humans since prehistoric times. However, the region of Els Ports is a stunning natural area full of wildlife, where any nature lover would feel stimulated by its different facets: a chain of mountains with beautiful rivers, caves, gorges and peaks standing at over a thousand metres.
While on the mountain you may see many mountain goats , but it is also home to the wild boar, wild cats, otter swim in the water pools, and roe deer. It caters for 50% of the amphibian species found in Catalonia. It is a birdwatchers delight and adding to the richness of bird species here, including a good number of large birds of prey, Els Ports stands out as a place truly worth discovering. Walking, cycling and hiking the mountains are popular past times here.
The Ebro Delta (River Ebro) running through Tortosa, forms a very important Mediterranean wetland area of 320 km² (123.5 mi²) that has grown rapidly over time and is 928 km (576 mi) long. Today the delta area of the Ebro River is used for a variety of agricultural purposes including rice, citrus fruit and vegetable cultivation.
The Ebro River delta wetlands also provide habitat for more than 300 different species of birds. Due to the importance of the Ebro River delta to river flora, river fauna and river animals, in 1986 Spain protected a large area as the Ebro Delta Natural Park (Parc Natural del Delta de l'Ebre). The park is recognized internationally for its conservation efforts, particularly in regards to 8 plant flora species, 69 vertebrate fauna and 95 different species of breeding birds, including the largest colony of Aundouin's Gulls. Ebro Delta Natural Park is also a very important stopping point for migratory birds. In order to maintain the ecological and economic importance of the area, a system of canals and irrigation has been built throughout the Ebro River Delta.
The River Ebro area has been increasing in tourist popularity for the rich wildlife and fishing it provides. Bird watchers can spot gulls, terns, reed warblers, flamingos and more. Fishing in the Ebro River is known as some of the best fishing in all of Europe. The River Ebro is known for its extra large carp, catfish and zander fish. There are many tour companies available to organize Ebro River bird watching or fishing trips.There is a local swimming pool we can use for a leisurely swim, and on the last day, visit the main town if you wish, crossing the Ebro river to meander round the beautiful, traditional streets of Tortosa and the old quarter.
Why I do what I do.
Bringing my passions together. After working for 21 years in the field of domestic abuse in women’s refuges, I have decided to focus my project on well-being. Recovering, relaxing and resting retreats for women. I have spent many years making my own body care products and am licensed to do so, and this will be a retreat/workshop I will offer in the future. I am a qualified massage therapist and reiki practitioner. I have spent many years delivering programmes on self-esteem raising, self-care and coaching. I grow my own vegetables organically. I have lived off grid in a 1970’s caravan in the UK. I have given up my job and have taken the leap to make this a reality here in Spain with my little white dog.
Red Tent Retreat
Please click on the button below to pay your 50% deposit of £300.
"Jo is very inspiring; not just by the way she lives but she has a special way of working with people, evoking passions and drawing out what needs to be addressed in a way that is not obvious or painful or difficult , and you wonder why you never saw it yourself! I would love to be on one of her workshops soon."
"I have known Jo for nearly 20 years and in this time I have watched her grow from a friendly, eager to learn, driven mature student to a manager in the domestic abuse sector with a passion for helping people make dramatic changes to their lives and fulfil their dreams through self exploration. This is supported by her spiritual outlook and naturally glass-half-full disposition. You will come back revived, optimistic and somehow, changed."
"I had the great pleasure of working with Jo Baker a couple of years ago and liked her tremendously the moment she walked into the office and we met for the first time. She has a very calm and harmonious aura which one feels immediately upon interaction. This was felt by everyone on her team and along with her empathy and encouragement was a great influence on shaping a better working environment for all."
Terms & Conditions:
Airfares are not included.
50% Non Refundable Deposit required prior to booking your package.
Final Payment due 1 month prior to arrival.
Travel Insurance is recommended at the time of booking to cover any cancellations.
Unfortunately, refunds will not be given for any cancellations.
Where a cancellation is made within 30 days of arrival, the full amount of your booking is non-refundable.